Complaints Policy

At Not For Profit Law Community Interest Company we are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. If you have any concerns about the service you receive or our charges, we need you to inform us so that we can do our best to resolve matters.

How to make a complaint

In the first instance, it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues. If you do not feel able to raise your concerns with this person, or you are unsatisfied with their response, please contact the Directors at 147 Churchill Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3 4PZ.

To help us to understand your complaint, and in order that we do not miss anything, please tell us:

  • Your full name and contact details;
  • What you think we have got wrong;
  • How you would like your complaint to be resolved; and
  • Your file reference number (if you have it).

What will happen next?

We will send you a letter or email acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three working days of receiving it, enclosing a copy of this policy.

We will investigate your complaint. This will usually involve:

  • reviewing your complaint;
  • reviewing your file(s) and other relevant documents; and
  • liaising with the person who dealt with your matter.

We may also need to ask you for further information or documents. If so, we will ask you to provide the information within a specific period of time.

We will update you on the progress of your complaint at appropriate times.

We may also, if appropriate, invite you to a meeting to discuss your complaint. You do not have to attend if you do not wish to or if you are unable to. We will be happy to discuss the matter with you by telephone or video conference.

We will write to you at the end of our investigation to tell you what we have done and what we propose to do to resolve your complaint. Where possible, we will aim to do this within 21 days of the date of our letter of acknowledgement.

What if we cannot resolve your complaint?

The Legal Ombudsmen

The Legal Ombudsman is the independent complaints handing body of the Law Society who may help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves.  They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your matter.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint; and
  • no more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • no more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them.

Call:     0300 555 0333 between 9.00 to 17.00
Post:    Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ

The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)

The SRA is the independent regulatory body of the Law Society. The SRA can also help you if you are concerned about our solicitors behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

You can raise your concerns with the SRA via their website: or by calling: 0370 606 2555.

If a solicitor fails to account to you for your money or is dishonest and you have suffered loss as a result you may be able to claim on the SRA Compensation Fund. You can contact the SRA via their website: or by calling: 0370 606 2555.

Right to object to a bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974 (where applicable)

If you have a complaint about our charges you may also have the right to object to the bill by applying to the court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974 (although there may be circumstances where you may be liable for costs in the event that any such application is unsuccessful).

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

ADR bodies exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm wish to use such a scheme.

Will I be charged for making a complaint?

We will not charge you for handling your complaint. Please note that if we have issued a bill for work done on the matter, and all or some of the bill is not paid, we may be entitled to charge interest on the amount outstanding. This is explained in our Client Care Information Leaflet.

The Legal Ombudsman service is free of charge.

Not for Profit Law Community Interest Company is a registered Community Interest Company (Company Number: 13165525) regulated by the Community Interest Company Regulator.

Our registered office is at 147 Churchill Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3 4PZ.

Proud to donate all profits to

© Copyright 2021 Not For Profit Law